Report: Villanova's DiVincenzo expects to remain in NBA Draft | Zagsblog
Recent Posts
About ZagsBlog
Adam Zagoria covers basketball at all levels. He is the author of two books and an award-winning journalist whose articles have appeared in ESPN The Magazine, SLAM, Sheridan Hoops, Sports Illustrated, Basketball Times and in newspapers nationwide.
Follow Zags on Twitter
Couldn't connect with Twitter
Contact Zags
Connect with Zags:
Tuesday / August 4.
  • Report: Villanova’s DiVincenzo expects to remain in NBA Draft

    Share Zagsblog Share Zagsblog
    By ADAM ZAGORIA

    Villanova’s Donte DiVincenzo expects to remain in the NBA draft barring injury or a drastic change in his performance, according to a report from Yahoo Sports.

    The 6-foot-5 DiVincenzo is currently testing the NBA Draft waters without an agent, but impressed at last week’s NBA Draft Combine.

    DiVincenzo, the MOP of the Final Four after he went for 31 points in the NCAA championship game against Michigan, worked out for the Boston Celtics on Monday. He interviewed at the Combine with the Lakers, Magic, Timberwolves, Trail Blazers, Cavaliers, Spurs, Hawks and Grizzlies.

    He’s currently projected as the No. 33 pick in the June 21 NBA Draft to the Dallas Mavericks, per ESPN.com.

    “I’m more than just a shooter,” DiVincenzo told Yahoo Sports. “I want to show teams that I can do more. Playing point guard is one big thing that teams want to see — if I can control the tempo, get into the offense, get shots and pocket passes.

    “I wasn’t going to change my game in three or four weeks, but I had to tighten my game up, tighten my shot up and tighten my handle up and tighten defense up. I had to get into the little details to get ready to go.”

    Villanova now looks like it will lose at least three players from its NCAA championship team. Red-shirt junior wing Mikal Bridges is the projected No. 10 pick, and junior point guard Jalen Brunson is projected at

    Redshirt freshman forward Omari Spellman is also testing the draft waters, and head coach Jay Wright said he hoped all of his players went in the first round, but would advise them to return to campus if they’re weren’t projected that way.

    “Both of them are really confident guys and they love a challenge,” Wright told ESPN. “My personal advice is, you’re young, you got a chance to come back and make yourself a first-round pick. It’s more how those guys want to enter their pro careers. Do they want to do it as first-round choices or do they want to fight their way as second-round picks?”

    Photo: AP

    Follow Adam Zagoria on Twitter


    Written by

    [email protected]

    Adam Zagoria is a Basketball Insider who covers basketball at all levels. A contributor to The New York Times and SportsNet New York (SNY), he is also the author of two books and is an award-winning journalist and filmmaker. His articles have appeared in ESPN The Magazine, SLAM, Sheridan Hoops, Basketball Times and in newspapers nationwide. He also won an Emmy award for his work on the SNY mini-documentary on Syracuse guard Tyus Battle. A veteran Ultimate Frisbee player, he has competed in numerous National and World Championships and, perhaps more importantly, his teams won the Westchester Summer League (WSL) championships in 2011 and 2013. He lives in Manhattan with his wife and children.