Adam Zagoria covers basketball at all levels. He is the author of two books and an award-winning journalist whose articles have appeared in ESPN The Magazine, SLAM, Sheridan Hoops, Sports Illustrated, Basketball Times and in newspapers nationwide.
Rutgers sophomore guard Mike Rosario has been granted a conditional release and intends to transfer.
“No Big East and no school that’s on the schedule for next year,” said Jorge Fontan, Rosario’s Godfather.
“We’re all happy, ecstatic right now. We’re glad Rutgers didn’t give us a hard time about it. We respect them for that and now we’re going to sit back and see who calls us.”
Rosario must sit a whole year and will be eligible for the 2011-12 season.
Gannett New Jersey previously reported that Rutgers planned to file tampering charges against USC and would prevent Rosario from going there. The report also said Kansas and Florida would be off limits for Rosario.
But Fontan said “that never came out of Rutgers’ mouth. Nobody officially said that from Rutgers.”
Calvin Lamb, Doron’s father, said Lavin called him shortly before 3 p.m. Tuesday to express interest in Lamb, the 6-foot-4 shooting guard ranked among the top five nationally in the Class of 2010.
“I just got off the phone with Coach Lavin like five minutes ago,” Calvin said.
“He just talked about the style of play that Doron could come in and start and be a floor general and be a good fit with the nine seniors that they have. He could be the one player that could get them over the hump to the NCAA tournament.”
Calvin said no meeting with Lavin had been set and that he had to huddle with Doron before making any future plans.