Orlando Sanchez and St. John’s have retained an attorney, Robert Orr, to represent Sanchez in his efforts to get a year of eligibility back in 2013-14, St. John’s spokesman Mark Fratto told SNY.tv Friday night.
As first reported by SNY.tv in January, Sanchez, 24, was ruled ineligible by the NCAA and the case is considered “closed and…final.”
The New York Times revealed in a story on its Website that Sanchez was declared ineligible because he played 3 minutes, 38 seconds with the Dominican Republic national team in 2010.
“I did not know one dream would cost me another,” the 6-foot-9 Sanchez, a native of the Dominican who also lived in Spain before playing for Monroe (N.Y.) College, wrote in a letter to the N.C.A.A. in October.
St. John’s is hoping that the NCAA will give the case another look, even though a source previously told SNY.tv: “The bar is high. Odds are slim at best with new information.”