Seton Hall this week filed an appeal with the NCAA on behalf of 6-foot-9 freshman Kevin Johnson, an NCAA spokesman told SNY.tv.
“It’s in the process of being reviewed,” Chris Radford told SNY.tv.
As first reported by SNY.tv, the NCAA previously informed Seton Hall that Johnson was ineligible on Oct. 5.
Johnson attended William H. Taft (CA) and led the team to a 29-3 record his senior year, averaging 11.9 points, 9.9 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game.
Without him, Seton Hall would be left to rely on senior Herb Pope, sophomores Aaron Geramipoor and Patrik Auda and freshman Brandon Mobley as its primary big men. Mobley is recovering from rotator cuff surgery and Willard expects him to return Dec. 1.
Follow Adam Zagoria on TwitterAnd like ZAGS on Facebook
Adam Zagoria is a New York Times contributor and Basketball Insider who covers basketball at all levels. He is the author of two books and is an award-winning journalist whose articles have appeared in ESPN The Magazine, SLAM, Sheridan Hoops, Sports Illustrated, Basketball Times and in newspapers nationwide.
A veteran Ultimate Frisbee player, he has competed in numerous National and World Championships and, perhaps more importantly, his teams won the Westchester Summer League (WSL) championships in 2011 and 2013.
He lives in Manhattan with his wife and children.